October 3, 2013 by Minuteman Trucks
Phil’s Propane in Tiverton, Rhode Island knows propane. They are a third generation family owned business, providing propane to over 5,000 residential, commercial, and industrial accounts in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
On their property they maintain a storage capacity of 60,000 gallons of propane, an expanded parts department, and a new tank storage and maintenance facility.
Their fleet consists of five bulk delivery trucks, three installation trucks, two service/install vehicles, two maintenance vehicles, and two supervisor and sale vehicles.
So naturally when it came time for owner Phil Viveiros to add to his fleet, he immediately thought of a truck that would be fueled from what he knows best, liquid propane.
Phil purchased two trucks: The first is a 2013 Ford F650 – the second is a 2013 Ford F550. Both trucks come with a V-10 gasoline engine and factory gaseous prep kit ordered through Minuteman.
The F650 was sent from the Ford factory to Manning Equipment in Texas where they installed a Roush Propane conversion to include under cab mounted propane fuel storage tanks designed specifically for the F650.
The F550 was shipped directly through Roush’s facility in Plymouth Township, MI in where they installed rear mounted, between-the-rail tanks specifically designed for the smaller chassis.
Benefits of the Roush CleanTech liquid propane autogas fuel system:
- Operating Costs – Reduced: Propane autogas vehicles are known for their extended engine life and reduced maintenance costs compared to gasoline vehicles. Propane’s higher octane rating and lower carbon and oil contamination rate not only helps you to save our ‘green’ environment, but saves you ‘green’ at the bank, too.
- Emissions – Reduced: As little as one gallon of spilled gasoline can quickly contaminate groundwater above drinking water health advisory levels. Propane, on the other hand, is not a groundwater contaminant. Fueling with nontoxic propane autogas means operating on a safer, cleaner fuel that produces:
- 20 percent less nitrogen oxide
- 60 percent less carbon monoxide
- Up to 24 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions
- Fewer particulate emissions
- Performance – Identical: The Ford F-650 chassis cab equipped with the ROUSH CleanTech propane fuel system provides the same great performance, horsepower, torque, and towing capacity as the gasoline powered counterpart.
- Warranty – Identical: ROUSH CleanTech maintains the factory Ford 5-year / 60,000-mile limited powertrain warranty on vehicles equipped with the liquid propane autogas system. The ROUSH CleanTech propane autogas fuel system is covered by a limited 1-year / 12,000-mile warranty when installed on a truck that is no longer covered by the Ford factory warranty.
- Serviceability – Identical: This vehicle can be easily serviced using any standard Ford diagnostic equipment.