August 27, 2015 by Minuteman Trucks
At last, the time has come for parents across the country to rejoice; the beginning of the school year. Back-to-school season also means that all drivers must take extra precautions to ensure the safety of all drivers and school-goers alike. To achieve this, the National Safety Council has some tips and reminders for drivers:
- On school buses, yellow flashing lights mean the bus is slowing down and coming to a stop.
- A greater following distance from a school bus gives drivers more time to stop.
- Drivers are required by law to stop for a stopped school bus on both sides of the road.
- In a school zone when flashers are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
- Take extra care to look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and in all residential areas.
- Be alert. Children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks.
By following these tips and reminders, we can help make the roads safer for everyone this school year.
Want to be an even safer driver? Click here to read more about Back to School Safety Tips.