Leave a comment
October 31, 2016 by Minuteman Trucks
Help everyone bring home treats – follow these tips for a safe Halloween:
- Focus on your driving. A single distraction could lead to a tragedy.
- Stay well below the posted speed limit.
- Pay attention to what’s happening on sidewalks and roadways. Watch for children darting across streets, especially between parked cars.
- Be extra alert when pulling in and out of driveways.
- Do not assume children can see you or are paying attention. You need to take that responsibility.
- Drivers should also check that all lights on their car work.
- Do not pass other vehicles that have stopped in the roadway. They could be dropping off children.
- If you’re driving a group of children, but staying in the running vehicle at the curb, be sure to put on your hazard lights to alert other motorists.
- And if you’re driving to a Halloween party, put that mask on after you park the car.
Parents can help motorists, too:
- Make sure drivers can see the children. Give them flashlights and glow sticks. Dress kids in bright, reflective clothing or use reflective tape on their costumes.
- Use makeup, rather than masks, so children have a clear, unobstructed view of their surroundings.
- Be sure children know how to cross a street — look left, right and left again before crossing.
- Instruct children to stay on sidewalks and to cross only at corners or crosswalks.
- Accompany your children as they trick or treat.
This safety bulletin is brought to you by Idealease.