February 27, 2017 by Minuteman Trucks
Every self-propelled Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), as defined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in CFR 390.5, greater than 10,000lbs MGVWR must be marked and display the following information:
- The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the self-propelled CMV, as listed on the motor carrier identification report (Form MCS-150) and submitted in accordance with CFR 390.19.
- The motor carrier identification number issued by the FMCSA, preceded by the letters “USDOT”.
- The City and State of the motor carrier is no longer required to be displayed.
The Marking Must:
- Appear on both sides of the self-propelled CMV.
- Be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed.
- Be readily legible during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet (15.24 meters) while the CMV is stationary.
- Be kept and maintained in a manner that retains the legibility of the above requirements.
Construction and Durability
The marking may be painted on the CMV or may consist of a removable device, if that device meets the identification and legibility requirements above.
Marking of Rented CMVs from Idealease
A motor carrier operating a self-propelled Idealease CMV under a rental agreement having a term not in excess of 30 calendar days meets the requirements of this section if:
- The Idealease CMV is marked in accordance with the provisions of the marking requirements as stated above.
- The legal name or a single trade name of the Idealease location is displayed.
- The Idealease location identification number preceded by the letters “USDOT” is displayed.
The Idealease rental agreement entered into by the Idealease location and the customer renting motor carrier conspicuously contains the following information:
- The name and complete physical address of the principal place of business of the Idealease customer renting the CMV.
- The identification number issued the Idealease customer by the FMCSA, preceded by the letters “USDOT,” if the Idealease customer has been issued such a number. In lieu of the identification number required in this paragraph, the following may be shown in the rental agreement:
- Information which indicates whether the Idealease customer is engaged in “interstate” or “intrastate” commerce; and
- Information which indicates whether the Idealease customer is transporting hazardous materials in the Idealease rented CMV;
- The sentence: “That Idealease cooperates with all Federal, State, and local law enforcement officials nationwide to provide the identity of Idealease customers who operate the Idealease rental CMV”. The rental agreement entered into by Idealease and the Idealease customer is carried on the Idealease rental CMV during the full term of the rental agreement.